Care For Nervous Patients
If you are anxious about dental treatment then you are not alone. Most people are anxious to some degree by the prospect of a dental visit; in fact, it is estimated that about 15% of the population avoid going to the dentist altogether because of dental fear.
We understand that a trip to the dentist can be nerve-racking but, fortunately, there are a number of ways Marsh Dental Care can help you overcome your fear and keep you calm:
- Aromatherapy – we use lavender in our patient lounge to help produce a relaxing, calming environment.
- Acupuncture – we use acupuncture to reduce anxiety and to help people who may have a problem with gagging.
- Behaviour management – this is often the simplest approach for nervous patients. It involves a careful and sympathetic approach from the dentist, with explanations of what is being done, thus allowing the patient control over the procedure. Some patients may want to bring a friend along for support. We can also provide DVD glasses enabling you to watch a film or television programme.
- Oral Sedation – this involves the use of an oral sedative drug such as diazepam, which is taken before treatment. The sedative effect varies between individuals and so can be unpredictable. It is best used for sedation the night before treatment to ensure restful sleep.
- Intravenous Sedation – this is used to produce a very strong sensation of deep relaxation and well being. Even the most highly anxious patients can be successfully treated with this technique. The main advantage is that most patients experience either full or partial memory loss so that little of the treatment can be remembered. It is a suitable technique for most healthy adults and is very safe as the patient remains conscious during treatment thus avoiding the potential dangers of a general anaesthetic. In a study published by the British Dental Journal in 1996, sedation was found to be effective in 99% of patients, which isn’t bad!
Tips for a great smile
To receive our e-newsletter please enter your details below: